4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,
Context: the “us” are those who have believed (1:13)
- Blessing #1 - God chose us to be holy and blameless (v. 4).
- This choice of God is for those who are in Christ.
- God has chosen us to be devoted to Him in His eyes.
- God has chosen us to be faultless in His eyes.
- God made these choices before He created the world.
- Blessing #2 - God planned in advance to adopt us into his family (v. 5)
- God’s advanced plan will be completed.
- Our adoption gives us family status with God.
- Our adoption gives us the freedom to live for God.
- Our adoption gives us an intimate relationship with God
- Our adoption gives us the assurance that God is our Daddy.
- Our adoption gives us God’s inheritance.