- Overarching theme: Living a righteous life John 10:10
- ‘Blessed’: A state of well-being and joy not affected by circumstances. An inward contentedness. To be happy
“Kingdom of Heaven”
- Matthew uses kingdom of heaven, kingdom of God, saved, and eternal life interchangeably. Matthew 19:16-26
- The Kingdom of Heaven and of God is revealed as present right now. Matthew 4:17; Mathew 12:28
- The Kingdom of Heaven and of God refers to God’s rule and authority in the lives of people. Colossians 1:13; Philippians 2:9-11
- The Kingdom of Heaven and of God must be received with faith as a little child. Mark 10:14,15
- The Kingdom of Heaven and of God is experienced only through a second birth. John 3:3
- The Kingdom of Heaven and of God is to be what believers seek first. Matthew 6:33
- The Kingdom of heaven and of God is the established rule and reign of God over everything forever. 1 Corinthians 15:24-28; Revelation 21:1
Life Principle #1: True happiness comes to those who possess the rule of God in their lives.
“Poor in Spirit”Explained
- Being ‘poor in spirit’ does not mean to be spiritually weak.
- Being ‘poor in spirit’ does not mean to be in financial poverty. Luke 6:20; Luke 12:15; Matthew 19:23
- Deuteronomy 10 – Warning: don’t forget me when you gain material blessings in the promise land
- Being ‘poor in spirit’ does not mean a false humility .
- Being ‘poor in spirit’ is to live life recognizing your complete helplessness before God; that without God you are in spiritual poverty and overwhelming spiritual need. Psalm 103:13,14
- Being ‘poor in spirit’ is to live life knowing that the real blessings of life and eternity come only from a right relationship with God. Galatians 5:22-23; Ephesians 1:3; Isaiah 6:5-7
- Being ‘poor in spirit’ is to live life acknowledging that you are no better, no more superior than the next person.
- The Tax collector’s ‘poor in spirit’ posture before God Luke 18:13-14
- Peter ‘poor in spirit’ awareness when seeing the real Jesus Luke 5:8
- Paul’s ‘poor in spirit’ self assessment Romans 7:18-25
- Jesus sacrificial service 2 Corinthians 8:9
- Turning your primary attention away from the things of this world. Matthew 6:25
- Turning your primary attention to God and His kingdom. Matthew 6:33; Romans 12:1,2