Review – reasons the early Christians were so effective:
They had unity
They had courage.
They had total involvement.
They had clarity as to their mission.
They were committed to a pure and holy life before the Lord.
They were organized.
- Your life will make an impact when you fully trust God. “full of faith” (v. 5) Acts 7
- Trust that God rules history (vv. 2-50).
- Trust that Jesus is the Messiah (v. 52).
- Trust that Jesus is risen and exalted to the right hand of the Father (vv. 55-56).
- Trust that Jesus cares for you (v. 59).
- Trust in the Holy Spirit (v. 51).
- Your life will make an impact when you let the Holy Spirit control you. “full of the Holy Spirit” (v. 5) Ephesians 5:18; Acts 4:31
- Your life will make an impact when you are full of grace (v. 8).
- Saving grace Ephesians 2:8
- Dying grace Acts 7:60
- Living grace - Loving kindness toward others. Ephesians 4:32
- Your life will make an impact when you are full of God’s power (v. 8). “…you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you” (Acts 1:8).
- Your life will make an impact when you possess God-given courage (v. 13).
- v. 9 – “opposition arose”
- v. 13 - “This fellow never stops speaking.”
- Synagogue of the Freedmen – Jewish slaves in the city of Rome who had been freed
- Synagogue of Cyrene’s and Alexandrians – Jews from Libya and Egypt
- Synagogue of Cilician’s and Asia – Jews from Syria, Turkey and surrounding areas
- Your life will make an impact when your mind is full of God’s wisdom (v. 10). John 16:13
- Luke 12:11-12ff - Jesus teaches that the Holy Spirit will give you the words to say.
- Exodus 3:1ff - God says He will give Moses the words to say.
- Accusation #1 – Jesus said He would destroy the temple.
- Clarifying point: Yes, Jesus did say that (John 2:19-22).
- Godly wisdom declares that Jesus takes the place of the temple, so all you need is Jesus for God to live with you
- Jesus is the High Priest who lives forever to make intercession for us. Hebrews 7:23-25
- Jesus Christ is the one necessary sacrifice for our sins. Hebrews 10:11-14
- Jesus Christ is God present with us. Revelation 21:22-23
- Accusation #2 – Jesus is against the law of God and the customs of Moses.
- Godly wisdom declares that Jesus Christ is Lord over all religious traditions and customs.
- Circumcision no longer required (Acts 15:1-11). Acts 15:1; Acts 15:11
- God now declares clean what was once unclean (Acts 10:9ff). Matthew 5:17