- Fake/Hypocrisy – In Greek theater, hypocrisy was a stage acting term describing an actor wearing masks to depict different characters. It came to be used in everyday life to describe a person who tries to convince others of something about themselves that is not true.
- Genuine – to be sincere, true, or real; not counterfeit.
FAKE SPIRITUALITY – WEARING A MASK
- Wearing a mask brings the discipline of God.
- Matthew 23:3-7 – Jesus explains why Pharisees are hypocrites and condemns them. Luke 12:1; Revelation 3:17; Proverbs 6:16-19; Hebrews 12:10-11
- Wearing a mask encourages you to live a lie. John 8:44
- Wearing a mask will allow your selfish motives to flourish.
- Matthew 21:12 – fleecing spiritual seekers in the name of God 1 Timothy 6:5, 10;
- Wearing a mask will cause you to be short-sighted.
- Masks focus on impressing others instead of living for God.
- Masks focus on what people think, not on what God thinks. Galatians 2:11-14
- Masks focus on this life, not on eternity. Hebrews 4:13
- Integrity – making choices that stay true to your convictions and values 5:3-5
- Generosity – giving bountifully of your material possessions to help others 4:33-37
- Encouraging others – expressing support and belief in people 4:36-37