Friday, March 12, 2010

Temptation – What Did Jesus Do?


  • Introduction
    • “Temptation” means to try, attempt, put to the test, entice.
    • Temptation is both an enticement to sin and a test which can enrich the spiritual life.  James 1:1-4, 13-15
    • Temptation to sin is always based on a lie  John 8:44
  • Temptation #1– Jesus, go ahead and meet your own physical needs (v. 3-4). John 5:19; Philippians 4:19
    • The lie behind the temptation:
      • Your physical needs should be priority one in your life.
      • Or... you deserve to have your physical needs meet.
      • Or... if you can meet your physical needs, there is no need to seek God in the matter, just go ahead and meet them.
    • A sinful response: I will focus on making sure my physical and material needs are met and then look at God’s plan and will. Luke 12:15
    • A Jesus-like response: I declare that living with God and for God takes priority over my physical well-being, since my life is more the just my physical existence. Matthew 6:33; Hebrews 10:32-35
  • Temptation #2: Jesus, demand that God perform miracles in your life in order for you to trust Him (v. 5-7).
    • The lie behind the temptation:
    • A sinful response: I will not trust in a God that will not keep me safe or does not prove Himself by performing miracles for me.
    • A Jesus-like response: I trust God with my life to do what is best and refuse to demand additional proof from Him. Job 1:21; Luke 16:31; John 20:29
  • Temptation #3 - Jesus, grasp power, authority and success for yourself now, while here on earth (v. 8-10). Philippians 2:9-11 ; Matthew 23:5-7
    • A lie behind the temptation: it is best for you to grab what you can get now and not wait for God’s plan to unfold.
    • A sinful response: I am in charge of my life so I will accomplish all I can while I can. James 4:6
    • A Jesus-like response: I declare my allegiance to God and His plan for my life. Deuteronomy 6:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment