I have never been in the military and have never been in battle. Over the years I have been told by several battle-scared military veterans that there is a special bond that develops when fighting side-by-side against the enemy. There is a connection that they say is hard to explain and describe to those of us who have never been in battle.
What we are learning from Ephesians six is that we who are followers of Jesus actually are in the military on the front lines fighting the enemy. And the hardware provided for this battle comes from God and is very effective.
Our problem is two-fold:
- We soldiers often don’t realize we are in a battle, and
- We soldiers forget to use God’s hardware.
Consequently the enemy quite easily at times gets the upper hand, and we lose battle after battle.
Our solution is to put on God’s armor, wear it, and use it every day. Then and only then will we experience the abundant victories of life that God has for us on earth.
Read Ephesians 6:14-18 and determine which armor you tend to wear often and which armor you frequently forget to put on.
What in your life caused you to answer the way you did?
Fight on Three Fronts
- The flesh – your evil inclinations
- The world – the sinful environment around you
- The devil – fallen angels in the spirit realm
Put on the full armor of God
- Wear God’s armor because the battles are guaranteed to come.
- What is the "day of evil"? Romans 13:12
- It can refer to days in general -- to the onslaught of evil that is in the world today:
- It can refer to any moment -- to the onslaught of temptations and trials that confront us at any given moment during a day.
- It can refer to a day of unusual temptation and trial -- to a special onslaught and barrage of evil that is thrown against us.
- Wear God’s armor because victory is possible. 1 John 4:4; 5:4-5
- The belt of truth John 18:37-38; John 14:6; John 8:44
- The belt secured the loose clothing.
- The belt protected some vital organs.
- The belt held the sheath in place so the soldier had access to the primary offensive weapon.
- Wearing the belt of truth means…
- Jesus Christ is your foundation of truth. John 1:14; John 14:6
- God’s Word is your guide book of truth. John 17:17; James 1:22-25
- A truthful character is your reputation. Malachi 2:6; (John 8:31-32
- The belt of truth effectively…
- Keeps you from being tossed around by every attack of the enemy. Ephesians 4:14-15
- Keeps you from becoming entangled with the affairs of this life. 2 Timothy 2:3-4; Luke 8:14
- Supports you in the battles and trials you face Hebrews 2:18; Hebrews 4:14, 16
- The breastplate of righteousness
- It protected the most vital organs.
- It often saved the soldier from being mortally wounded.
- No soldier would dare go into battle without it.
- “Righteousness” fundamentally means conformity to a standard.
- The believer's heart is focused upon the Lord Jesus Christ and His righteousness, and that focus must be protected.
- Wearing the Breastplate of Righteousness means…
- You stand in Christ’s righteousness. Genesis 15:6; Romans 3:22; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 3:9; Luke 18:10-14
- You pursue a life of righteousness in this present world. Matthew 5:6; Romans 6:19; Titus 2:11-12; Isaiah 6:1-8