In our Scripture text this week Paul tells us, “Do not get drunk with wine.” Many years ago I had a person ask me, “What about beer? Can I get drunk with beer?” Of course that misses the whole point of the text. The issue is not alcohol, it is about control; influence. Who is in charge in your life? Whatever controls you is what you are drunk with. Some people get drunk on success, or money, or fame, or sex, or sports, or leisure time, or ????. What do you get drunk on? What controls your life?
This week we will learn some insights about how to live with God’s Spirit in our lives and some things we can do that will help God’s Spirit to be in control. I invite you to read Ephesians 5:15-20 and ask yourself –
- Does God’s Spirit control me?
- What in my life would indicate a yes or a no answer?
- Pay close attention to how you live life.
- 4:1 – “to walk worthy of your calling”
- 5:1 - “walking in love”
- 5: 8 – “walk as children of light”
- 5:15 – “be careful how you walk” 4:17 – “do not walk as the gentiles walk”
- Be wise in your choices - making the most of your opportunities. (15-16) 2 Peter 1:5-8; Psalm 90:12; 1 Corinthians 7:29-31, 35
- Learn what God's will is for you (17) ("Understand" means to grasp, perceive, see with the mind and comprehend.)
- To learn God’s will requires radical adjustments. Romans 12:1-2
- We must adjust how we view our bodies – treating them as something to sacrifice to God.
- We must adjust how we view the man made cultures and societies – we must resist its godless ways.
- We must adjust how we think about life – we must see life with God’s eyes.
- To learn God’s will requires knowing God’s word – the Bible. John 8:31-32; 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- Continue being filled with God's Spirit. (18)
- What it is not:
- Being filled with God’s Spirit is not His work of regeneration. Titus 3:5
- Being filled with God’s Spirit is not His work of baptizing you. 1 Corinthians 12:13
- Being filled with God’s Spirit is not His indwelling of you. Galatians 4:6; Ephesians 1:13-14
- Some Basics:
- Being filled with God’s Spirit requires your obedience.
- Being filled with God’s Spirit requires turning over control to the Spirit.
- Pursuing godly character lines up with the Spirits mission for you. Galatians 5:22
- Being motivated by the desire to please God’s Spirit will help guide you in spirit-filled living. Ephesians 4:29-32; 1 John 1:9
- Keeping open to the work of God’s Spirit frees His power to work in and through you. 1 Thessalonians 5:19
- Some traits of a Spirit-filled person
- A Spirit-filled person has an abundantly singing spirit (v. 9). Nehemiah 8:10; Psalm 95:1; Psalm 150
- A spirit-filled person has a deeply thankful spirit. (20) Romans 1:21; 1 Thessalonians 5:18