- v.1-6 – Paul and his team of eight travel from Ephesus in Asia through Macedonia to Greece where they stayed for three months. The book of Romans was probably written during this time. Then they traveled back through Macedonia to Troas in Asia.
- v.7-12 – During their seven day stay at Troas, a young man falls out of a window to his death. Paul brings him back to life. Note: Beware of long sermons.
- v.13-17 - The team travels along the Asia coast arriving at Miletus four days later. Paul asks the elders of the churches in Ephesus to come meet him
Paul’s Final Words of Advice (v.18-38)
“I know…none of you will ever see me again” v.25
“What grieved them most was his statement that they would never see his face again” v.38
- Focus on the tasks God has given you (v.24) “…if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me.”
- Paul’s: to testify to the gospel of God’s grace (v.24)
- Local church leaders: (v.28-31)
- Watch – post yourself as a sentry to warn when danger approaches (v.28).
- Guard – protect those under your care from the dangers without and within (v.31).
- Feed – shepherd those under you care by fully teaching God’s truth (v.28). Colossians 2:8; Revelation 2:2-5
- All of us: make disciples Matthew 28:18-20
- Serve with humility and compassion (v.19).
- Humility is seeing self as a slave of Jesus Christ. Galatians 2:20
- The word “serving” is the word for “bond-slave.” The word emphasizes subjection of the will to another.
- Humility is thinking of and treating others as if they were more important than you. Philippians 2:3
- Continue to serve when under duress. v.19 - “…although I was severely tested by the plots of the Jews.” John 16:33
- Serve without discrimination. v.21 - “I have declared to both Jews and Greeks…” James 2:1
- Discriminate – to make a distinction in favor of or against a person on the basis of the group or class to which the person belongs
- Serve with self-restraint. v.33 - “I have not coveted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing.” James 4:1-2
- Serve with diligence (v.34). v.34 – “these hands of mine have supplied my own needs…” 1 Timothy 5:8
- Serve with generosity towards the needy. v.35 – “…we must help the weak… ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” James 2:15-16
- Share with others their need for repentance and faith (v.21).
- Repentance emphasizes a change of mind and attitude. To repent is to make a decision that changes the total direction of one’s life. Acts 2:36-38; 2 Peter 3:9
- Faith means to trust. The word “group” deals with relationships established by trust and maintained by trustworthiness. John 3:16; Hebrews 11:6
- Choose obedience over comfort and safety (v.22-23). 1 Peter 2:20-21; John 14:21, 23