In the Old Testament the prescription is:
Be good, I will bless you.
In the New Testament the prescription is:
I have blessed you, now be good.
- Keep God's call on your life in view (v.1) Colossians 1:10
- See yourself as God's submissive child - be humble Isaiah 57:15; James 4:6; John 13:3
- Keep yourself under control - be gentle Matthew 5:5; 1 Peter 3:4
- Take a long time to get angry - be patient James 1:19
- Work hard to keep Spirit-centered harmonious relationships with others (v.3) Romans 14:19; Romans 12:17,18; John 17:20-23